Search This Blog

Thursday, March 31, 2011

The Sick Obsession


I get on my laptop everyday and the first things that pop up are the Blogger dashboard, Amazon, and of course Facebook.  They are set as my home pages and I don't even think about it really. They just open.  So since it's already up, I look through some status updates, check on birthdays, and look at some pictures.  It's almost second nature to me.  But next thing you know, I've spent my last hour not really doing anything.  It's an odd phenomenon that I don't really understand.  I maybe have like 20 or 30 people that I actually care to see what is going on in their lives.  Yet I still have found a way to find over 500 friends.

I sit down in my big lecture classes and all of the laptops that are open have Facebook open.  It's almost as if it's encoded into our brains.  We see a computer and feel the need to open up Facebook.  And it's not just college kids.  Facebook has claimed high schoolers, middle schoolers. parents, grandparents, musicians, businesses, and even politicians.  Facebook literally has almost no bounds.  If you can use a computer, you can get on Facebook.

It's a great tool for people to stay in touch and for businesses to get themselves out there but when is it too much?  We've been turned into drones that are programmed to need Facebook.  I don't know if I'm for it or against it really.  I mean, it's not like I fight against it at all.  I have it on my computer, phone, and my iPod.  However, isn't it getting ridiculous?  They issued me a Facebook email address the other day.  Everything that happens is eventually going to come through Facebook.  School grades, paychecks, bank accounts, the whole works.  I'm all for social networking but I'm not really down for the whole life networking thing.  Facebook is monopolizing the internet.  I just need a little space Facebook, or this relationship isn't going to work.  Just keep me in touch with my friends and that's all I want. No less, no more.  If you agree, LIKE this page!! 




I'm just kidding, but seriously, I think you actually can.

1 comment: