Search This Blog

Saturday, April 2, 2011

Be Extraordinary

So after blogging every day for a month straight I am having withdrawals already, basically on April 1st.  I really like writing, but sometimes I don't really know what I want to talk about.  But here goes nothing.

When we're kids our teachers always ask us what we want to be when we grow up.  The typical responses are usually things like athletes, astronauts, fire fighters, or the president.  Then as we get into high school we start realizing that those are all good and well, but they're also either low paying or long shots.  So we do what us humans are great at, we adapt.  We decide that we want to be doctors, lawyers, and businessmen.  But that is more because we are scared into it by our teachers making us think that we need to be millionaires to be successful in life.  Then all of the sudden we get to college and we're studying to be a pencil pusher and we don't even know how we got there.

Why do we do it?  Why are we compelled to become these people that we never actually wanted to become?  I mean, honestly, is there actually anyone on Earth thats sits down when they get home and thinks to themselves, "Man, I'd really just LOVE to be an accountant."?  Is that the thought process there? I love math, and I love looking at other people's money so why not sit around and crunch numbers all day? Maybe I just don't get it.  But what happened to follow your dreams and live life to its fullest?  We like to say that America is very liberal but we sure do keep it pretty conservative when we pick our occupations.  I mean, seriously, if I said that I was going to be an astronaut right now at the age of 20 people would say I'm nuts.  But I think that until Nasa, until it gets shut down at least, is still going to need astronauts.  And with all of these doctors, lawyers, businessmen I'm sure there is demand.  It's not like we said we want to be Frankenstein doctors when we were little, we never dreamt the impossible.  We just wanted the improbable.

Think of every great ending to a sporting event that you've ever seen.  Was that a probable outcome?  Most likely the answer is no.  If it was probable then it wouldn't be amazing.  That's why we dream the improbable, because we don't want some ordinary life that anyone can live, we want extraordinary.  And why shouldn't we?  I know we can't just instantly turn into Superman, or Harry Potter, or grow 2 feet and be in the NBA but we can do a whole lot of other things.  It just takes a little bit of belief and a lot of hard work.  I don't know exactly which one we lose through the years, but I'm hoping to hold onto both.  So one day, I will be sitting at home thinking to myself, wow, this isn't how normal people live.


This is extraordinary.

No comments:

Post a Comment