Search This Blog

Thursday, March 3, 2011

New Toys and Great People

Because I am a major nerd I like to go shopping at thrift stores every once in a while.  Today I was going through my usual browsing routine being fairly picky and as I left empty handed I looked across the street and saw a place that struck my eye.  It was called Emery's 5 & 10.  I had always wanted to go in since seeing it on Chapman Highway in Knoxville but was always hesitant.  When I walked in the first thing I saw was drawers filled with bagged candy and I was instantly excited to see the rest.  I am like a little kid in a 20 year old's body so of course I was fascinated with the trinkets and toys and, honestly, with everything.  They had every little old timey toy you could think of and then all of the new ones like Silly Bands and squishy light up bouncy balls.  But my new interest has been pirates.  This is what struck my eye.  They had a small model of a ship, not necessarily a pirate ship, but one of the sorts. I decided it was well worth six dollars and I was going to get it. But at this point I was only halfway through the store.  So as I meandered my way through to the hardware department I almost decided to stop and turn around but I remembered a project I had been wanting to do of making my own door knocker so I browsed a little bit longer.

I went back through the hardware department and there was a man behind a counter there.  He asked if I needed any help and I joked that I was a little overwhelmed by everything but decided to ask about the knocker.  He said he didn't have any then but asked about my project and I told him about it and how I didn't know quite what to do with it or how to do it.  When he kept asking me more and more questions about it I started to realize that he wasn't just trying to get me to buy something. He was actually a really nice guy.  We wrapped up our conversation and he actually gave me a really good idea, inadvertently maybe but still.  After this I thought "Wow this place has some good service!"  I started to check out and came up to the front and asked me where I was from and about my major and all that and as he was doing all of this I couldn't help but think that you could never find anyone at a normal store to be that nice to a random customer.  To him I'm sure I looked like some slob college kid that didn't care about anything but toys and nonsense door knockers, but he still stood there and talked to me for a good 10 or 15 minutes.  So now, every time I want something random, Emory's is where I will go.  Not for any reason other than the fact that he was so nice.  If anyone that reads this lives in Knoxville or is visiting, or if anyone even reads this, you should go check the place out.  If you can't, they are just starting up their website.  It is called emory510.com and they just launched their website so be patient if it isn't  at full capacity.  But if you do get to go inside ever, I promise you will find something you love.

No comments:

Post a Comment