Search This Blog

Friday, March 25, 2011

King of the Misfits

I feel like a popular/interesting thing to do in blogging is to talk about who you want to be like and although I'm not too comfortable doing anything that's popular or trying to be like someone else I do like the idea of the post. So if I had to pick one person that everyone knows that I could say I admire I think it would be Johnny Depp.

This is weird for me because I don't agree with many of his habits or lifestyle in some ways but admiration comes in many forms.  I admire his mindset.  Of course most people know him for Pirates of the Carribbean, but in his other roles he almost makes a point to be a misfit.  He does these movies like Edward Scissorhands, Benny and Joon, What's Eating Gilbert Grape, and Don Juan DeMarco where he plays characters that aren't very appealing at first.  As you watch the movies, he has a way of teaching you that you actually share something with these people.  We're all misfits in this world.  We can kid ourselves and say that we're "normal" or we "fit in" or whatever but it's just not true.  We're all different. You're a freak if you're not different. I love the way he plays that out in his movies.  It's like he's screaming at us to let go of our statuses and just be ourselves.

“If there's any message to my work, it is ultimately that it’s OK to be different, that it’s good to be different, that we should question ourselves before we pass judgment on someone who looks different, behaves different, talks different, is a different color.” -Johnny Depp


For a long time, and still in some ways, I was afraid of letting go of all my labels and standings and just be me.  It is scary, I admit that.  But once you do, and you allow yourself to be the purest form of yourself it's incredible who you'll find.  You'll find yourself happier than ever, not because you are better than anyone else, but rather because you're better at being yourself than anyone else could ever be.  That's where true beauty comes from, letting yourself become truly unique.


T.C. Street

No comments:

Post a Comment