Search This Blog

Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Rollercoaster

So Saturday was my birthday and I was really happy. I got to spend time with friends and family and got presents and it was just my day. Just how a birthday should typically be. But Monday I found out that I had received a poor grade in my Accounting class. My mood went from happiness and excitement to grumpiness and upset. I started to think, why is it that we can go from being ecstatic about something to being depressed almost instantly? Why are we so unstable emotionally? Even the most carefree people in the world do it, so why is it that we seem to be born to have such a sliding scale of happiness? In my frustration I opened my Bible to a random passage to seek some guidance. What I stumbled upon was Psalm 20.

"May the LORD answer you when you are in distress; may the name of the God of Jacob protect you. 2 May he send you help from the sanctuary and grant you support from Zion. 3 May he remember all your sacrifices and accept your burnt offerings. "Selah" 4 May he give you the desire of your heart and make all your plans succeed. 5 We will shout for joy when you are victorious and will lift up our banners in the name of our God. May the LORD grant all your requests. 6 Now I know that the LORD saves his anointed; he answers him from his holy heaven with the saving power of his right hand. 7 Some trust in chariots and some in horses, but we trust in the name of the LORD our God. 8 They are brought to their knees and fall, but we rise up and stand firm. 9 O LORD, save the king! Answer us when we call!"

May the Lord answer you when you are in distress and may he send you help from the sanctuary! That is incredible! So I took that and applied it to my situation, and to me it means that if we were happy all of the time, we wouldn't really need God. Well, better yet, we wouldn't appreciate Him. I think sometimes we need failure to push us toward success. We need to be scared into thinking oh no I can't screw this up. We all get to a point in our lives where we need a bit more motivation than we can give ourselves. That is when we turn to God. He gives us life and death, success and failure, air and water, and most of all love. And in the end, God is all we will ever need. He turns our failures into success!

No comments:

Post a Comment